Effective Date: March 2020
Refuel Delivery App (Pty) Ltd (“we”) respect your privacy and take the protection of personal information very seriously.
We seek to employ best practice when it comes to the collection and processing of personal information to comply with the Protection of Personal Information Act 4 of 2013 and other applicable data protection laws.
You may only provide us with your own personal information or the personal information of another person where are duly authorised to do so.
Information We Collect
We may collect the following categories of information:
- information you voluntarily provide to us through your access and use of the app such as when you create or modify a user account so you can access our services. This information may include your name, email address, password, phone number, address, information about your vehicle and payment information;
- information you provide when using our services, like service requests, the items and type of fuel requested and any delivery notes you provide. Additionally, when you contact customer support or communicate with us in any manner, we will collect any information you volunteer;
- information about how you interact with our services, preferences expressed and settings chosen;
- depending on your app settings or device permissions, we may collect your location from the app to improve your user experience;
- transaction details related to your use of our services, including the type of service requested, the date and time the service was provided, the amount charged, the product supplied and other related transaction details. Additionally, if someone uses your promo code, we may associate your name with that person;
- with your permission, we may collect information from your device’s phonebook;
- information that other users provide about you when they use our services. For example, if another user allows us to collect information about their device’s phonebook and you are a contact of that user;
- information we receive from other users who may request services for or on your behalf; and
- information business providers may provide about you when you create, link or access your account to your other accounts, such as payment providers and social media services.
Our services are not intended for, and we do not direct them to, anyone under the age of 18 years. We do not knowingly collect personal information from anyone under the age of 18 years. If we learn that we have collected such information, we will take the appropriate actions to delete such information as soon as possible.
Use of Personal Information
We will only collect, use and share your personal information for purposes of fulfilling our obligations to you.
We use personal information collected to provide, personalise, maintain and improve our services to you. This includes, but is not limited to:
- creating and updating your account for purposes of providing the services;
- verifying your identity to prevent fraud or unauthorised activity;
- processing or facilitating payments for the services;
- tracking the progress of the services;
- notifing you about changes to the services;
- managing the app to improve your user experience;
- considering and responding to queries that you submit;
- performing internal operations, such as troubleshooting software issues or operational problems, conducting data analytics, testing and research and to monitor and analyse usage and activity trends;
- testing, research and analysis of information for purposes of product development; and
- enforcing our terms of service.
Notwithstanding the above provisions, we may use personal information we collect to investigate, or address claims or disputes relating to the use of our services or as otherwise allowed by applicable law, or as requested by regulators, government entities and official inquiries.
Sharing of Personal Information
We may share personal information with our employees and affiliates for purposes of providing our services. We may also share personal information with our vendors, consultants, marketing partners, and other service providers or business partners. This could include payment processors and facilitators, cloud storage providers, marketing partners and platform providers, data analytics providers, consultants (such as lawyers, accountants, and other professional service providers), insurance and financing partners and other third parties who provide us with services where appropriate. If you obtain our services through an employer-subsidised or sponsored plan, we may share information about use of the services with your employer to facilitate the service offering.
In the event that we undergo a change in ownership, or a merger with, acquisition by, or sale of assets to, another entity, we may share your personal information with that entity before and after the transaction closes.
We will ensure that all of our employees, representatives, third-party service providers, divisions and partners having access to your personal information are bound by appropriate and legally binding confidentiality obligations in relation to personal information.
Notwithstanding the above provisions, we may share your information if we reasonably believe it is required to comply with any applicable law, subpoena, order of court or legal process served on us, contractual obligation, or where disclosure is otherwise necessary due to safety concerns. This includes sharing your information as necessary to protect and defend our rights or property and our legitimate interest as a commercial organisation. In the event of fraudulent activity, we are entitled to disclose relevant personal information for criminal investigation purposes or in line with any other legal obligation for disclosure of personal information.
Messages and Notification Preferences
We may send administrative messages and notifications to you through the app, email or text message about about our services that we believe will be of interest to you.
If you do not wish to receive such messages or notifications you can opt-out of receiving them. Please be advised that even if you opt-out, we may still send you non-promotional messages and notifications, such as receipts and other information about your account.
Cookie technology comprises of small bits of data or small text files placed on your device when you visit the app. These files do not contain personal information, but they do contain a personal identifier allowing us to associate your personal information with a certain device.
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually change this preference through the settings on your browser or device. Please be advised, though, that by removing or rejecting cookies, it could affect the functionality of the app.
Storage of Personal Information
We may transmit or transfer personal information and process it outside of South Africa. Further, personal information may be stored on servers located outside of South Africa and you hereby consent to us transmitting and processing your personal information in such foreign jurisdictions.
We will take appropriate steps to ensure that transfers of personal information are in accordance with applicable laws and carefully managed to protect your privacy rights.
Whilst we will do all things reasonably necessary to protect your privacy rights, we cannot guarantee or accept any liability whatsoever for unauthorised or unlawful disclosures of your personal information, whilst in our possession, made by third parties who are not subject to our control, unless such disclosure is as a result of our gross negligence.
Further, we cannot be held responsible for security breaches occurring on your electronic device which may result due to the lack of adequate protection, phishing, fraud or disclosure of your personal information due to errors or unauthorised acts of third parties.
We will promptly notify you if we become aware of any unauthorised use, disclosure or processing of your personal information.
Retention of Personal Information
We will only retain personal information for as long as is reasonably necessary for the purposes for which it was collected, and for so long as required in accordance with legal, regulatory, tax and accounting requirements.
We may also retain certain information if it is necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud prevention and enhancing user safety and security.
Where information is no longer required, we will ensure that it is disposed of in a secure manner.
If for any reason you decide you would like us to delete your personal information, all you need to do is send an email to [email protected] We will, upon your request, promptly delete any of your personal information in our possession or control, save for that which we are legally obliged to retain. Please note that we may be unable to delete personal information if there is an outstanding credit or there is an unresolved claim or dispute. Upon the resolution of the issue preventing personal information deletion, we will promptly delete the information.
Accurate and Up to Date Information
You hereby warrant that any personal information you provide to us is complete and accurate. Further, where you give us personal information about another person, you warrant that you are duly authorised to provide such personal information to us and you do so lawfully in compliance with relevant legislation
In the event of any changes to your personal information, you are required to notify us of such changes as soon as reasonably possible.
At any point in time, you are able to review or update any personal information that we hold on you by accessing your account on the app. Because your privacy is of the utmost importance to us, we may ask you to verify your identity and provide additional information before we allow you access or update personal information.
If you do not agree with the revised terms, then you must stop using the app and our services. If you continue to use the app or our services following notification of a change to the terms, the changed terms will apply and you will be deemed to have accepted such terms.